Thursday, September 13, 2012

Essential Questions


During each reading and math unit, students focus on a list of essential questions that are related to the current learning objectives.  These essential questions are focused on the Common Core Standards that are used  to guide our classroom instruction, and are great ways to discuss what your child is learning each day in class. Listed below are the current reading and math unit essential questions.

Reading Essential Questions:  Theme 2 Celebrating Traditions

  • Why is it important to know the difference between retelling and summarizing? 
  • Why do I need to be a fluent reader? 
  • How do I identify the topic, main idea, and supporting details in a text? 
  • Why do good readers use a variety of reading strategies to their understanding of a text? 
  • How can I determine the author's viewpoint? 
Math Essential Questions: Unit 1- Number Sense
  • What is place? What is value? 
  • How does the place affect its value? 
  • How does the place value help me compare and order whole numbers? 
  • How does place value help me to round and estimate? 
  • How can I use place value to add and subtract numbers? 
  • How do the properties of addition and subtraction help me solve problems? 
  • What is the relationship between addition and subtraction? 

No comments:

Post a Comment